Friday, June 10, 2011

Crunchy Seed Bread


Wow -- I'm a bit behind on adding any new posts! I've definitely been very busy milling/baking and trying new recipes over the past several weeks. I even hosted a fun grain milling/ bread making demo for several interested mom friends from our children's school. I hope to share some photos from that event sometime soon!

I sampled some yummy crunchy seed bread at the Farmer's Market last weekend and I just loved it!! It was about time that I experimented with adding some seeds to my basic whole wheat bread recipe! Seeds are an excellent source of healthy fats like monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids. Adding seeds to breads will provide extra flavor and texture.

To prepare, you make your basic bread recipe and then during the kneading cycle, you add the seed combination of your choice. I added 2 TBS of each of the following to my dough: Sunflower Seeds, Flax Seed, Poppy Seed and Millet.
(kind of resembles bird food, huh?!?)

Here's a photo of the seeds as I dump them directly into the Zoji during the kneading cycle. (just look at the times on your settings to know the window of time to do this)


Next, I just closed the lid and let it finish it's kneading and rise/bake cycles. Here is the finished product!


I just love the taste and texture with the assortment of healthy seeds! I can't wait to try other seeds, especially pumpkin!

1 comment:

  1. This bread looks great and I had so much fun at your demo! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete